RECAP: LinkedIn Upskill WebinarMar 27, 2023
To set students up for success, the #ICANHELP Mentors collaborated to bring students the LinkedIn Upskill Webinar this past February 23rd. Students engaged in two of the three skill workshops focused on LinkedIn Basics, Networking, and Personal and Professional Branding. The #ICANHELP Mentors were Heidi Barker, Dory Caplin, and Humaira Akhter, providing students with expertise on updating or starting their LinkedIn.
LinkedIn Basics with Heidi Barker
Heidi Barker is the Digital4Good + #ICANHELP Lead Mentor and has developed 30 skills workshops for students, as she is an expert instructional designer. For this workshop, Barker covered the basics of how to build a more robust LinkedIn profile. Here are some of Heidi’s suggestions:
- Input your profile picture, personalized banner, and headliner.
- Connections: You need up to +500 connections to make your posts count. How do you make connections? Personalize your invites by leaving a note of who you are and what you are looking for. Here are some suggestions on who and where to find connections:
- Connect with Digital4Good + #ICANHELP members
- Connect with your previous classmates, teachers, school, and coworkers
- Look at your Suggestions
- Look at companies you are interested in or want to work for
- About and Featured Section: This is where you can showcase what you have accomplished and aspire to be.
- Experience Section: This is where you can input what is on your resume and show where and what you have done in the companies you have worked for. Make sure this section is up-to-date every time you have a new job.
- Input your Education, Courses, Certificates, and Skills to show your expertise in what you are looking to do.
- Input Volunteering and Interests to show your passion for what you want to do.
- Lastly, personalize your LinkedIn profile URL to something easier to read, like your first and last name.
Networking on LinkedIn with Dory Caplin
Dory Caplin is the Digital4Good + #ICANHELP Marketing Mentor and the Digital4Good 2023 Event Chair. She has a multitude of skills and experience in marketing, strengthening our network. For her workshop, Caplin presented how to expand your LinkedIn network and strategies for meaningful interaction with those connections. These were the four takeaways from her workshop:
- Know your target audience or who you want to reach. Ensure the people you connect with are from your previous/current job or school, and they assign your interests. This will help the algorithm know what you are looking for as well.
- Pick your “pillars” to build your connections around. Your pillars are your interests. Cater your connections and content around your pillars or interests.
- Have a few message templates ready to send and reach out to your connections. A good message can go in this order: short intro, the ask, what are next steps, thanking them for their time and help, and providing names and two ways to contact you.
- LinkedIn business card: When networking in person, airdropping your LinkedIn business card can make it a breeze! To make one, you screenshot your LinkedIn contact information or QR Code, which can be emailed or airdropped to anyone.
Personal and Professional Branding with Humaira Akhter
Humaira Akhter is the Digital4Good + #ICANHELP Design Mentor with years of experience as a creative strategist and providing excellent brand-building tips. Akhter has an exciting approach to attracting recruiters or hiring managers rather than applying by having an active LinkedIn account rather than a passive one. One must set up an updated and personalized digital portfolio to do so. These are the three Foundational Principles to think about while building your digital portfolio:
- Point of Difference: What makes you, YOU?
- Position - Get Discovered: How do you want to be positioned?
- Profile - Self Discovery: Who are you? Backstory/History/ Skills/Interests
If you have any previous design skills, Humaira suggests utilizing your skills to personalize your digital portfolio.
- Update your LinkedIn profile.
- Know the three pillars you want to focus on.
- Personalize your LinkedIn profile, content, and connection to your interests or future career.
- Make a LinkedIn Business Card.
- Reach out to your connections by making message templates.
Upcoming Student Success Webinar
Need help with your resume? Want a chance to work with Digital4Good + #ICANHELP mentors? Digital4Good+ #ICANHELP Mentor Heidi Barker is hosting another skills workshop called #ResumeHelp Workshop for Students on Thursday, April 6th, 2023 5pm PT | 7pm CT | 8pm ET.
RECAP: LinkedIn Upskill Webinar
By: Reeya Shakya, Seasonal Events Marketing Intern | Digital4Good
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.